Monday, June 11, 2012

Tug Of War


July 4th!  We headed out to “The Bo’” this day.  When we got into the town’s entrance, they weren’t letting anybody in.  The “citizens” had created a mini gate, saying there was no parking and the town was packed for the 4th of July parade and the annual tug-of-war between Stinson and Bolinas.  We ended up driving up to Stinson and walking a mile to the channel suited up and boards in hand.  We watched the tug-of-war that happens over the channel that separates the two towns.  Bolinas being the free thinkers and Stinson Beach being the more well financed (if you know what I’m saying).  Being an outsider, they are all pretty wealthy towns (being that they are in Marin County and on a beautiful piece of the California coast), it’s just that one town smokes more weed then the other.


The women’s match came to a draw after Stinson complained that Bolinas was cheating.  The Stinson men won, taking the Bolinas men into the water. After that, everybody headed to the beach on a beautiful, sunny, 78 degree day.

We ended up surfing the Stinson side of the Channel.  I wasn’t doing much as my right rib was completely in pain.  My other two friends, lets call them the “Argentinian” and the “Pinoy” were having fun catching some small waist high waves.  I was frustrated not being able to fully participate with the fun at hand.  But every time I laid down on my board to paddle out or catch a wave, I was in total agony.  Luckily, we headed out to the breaks around low tide, so I virtually walked my board out there.  I caught a few, but nothing to brag about.

Injuries really suck.  I felt as if I digressed today after working so hard over the last 3 months.  I decided to take a week off and not surf until either Sunday or Monday.  I had “surfer’s rib” before on my left side.  I know it will go away and it’s all part of paying my dues to the surfer Gods.  But man, being taken out of the action is heartbreaking.  But I’m going to make the best of it and take advantage of doing some cross training.  I plan to ride at least 30 to 40 miles on my bike twice this week along with doing some Core P90X training sessions.  Hopefully I can get my body in better shape and do some of the “off the court” things I need to do to get better on my board.  But oh how I already miss it.  I’m getting all misty eye’d just thinking of not getting wet for six days straight.  So here’s to Sunday (or Monday) when I will be able to hit it again!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment