Monday, June 11, 2012

Surfer Shape


I am very much a P90X guy.  I started P90X in April of 2010 and haven’t stopped.  Since then I went from weighing 215 pounds to 180 pounds.  I really give P90X a lot of credit for giving me the confidence to try surfing.  To be honest, I don’t know where I would be right now (health, mind and life) without Tony Horton yelling at me six times a week from my T.V..

Above is my calender I use to note my daily workouts.  I usually have a goal to work out at least 20 times a month.  This allows me to have at least 10 days off each month.

Between the month of May and June, I have lost almost 10 pounds and I credit it to a mix of surfing and P90X.  I also did a week of Insanity Asylum to gain some explosion for surfing in regards to the “push-up” to get on my feet.  It is amazing how much weight I have lost in just a few months.  I have been eating like a cow.  Each time after I surf, I eat a big burrito with everything in it (chicken or beef with rice, beans, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce and salsa.)  Sometimes I add a Corona or a Modelo to the mix, but most of the time I drink just plain water to replenish my liquids.  

But just as I was taught by Tony Horton, I make sure to drink my recovery drink within a half hour after a surf session.  Most of the time, I drop into a 7-Eleven and buy a Muscle Milk for about $3.  It does the trick.  Other times I make my own.  I add 16 ounces of water, a banana, a hand full of blueberries and add 3 spoon fulls of protein powder.  I make this before a session and take it with me.

To say the least, surfing has added a whole dimension to my fitness.  Just sitting on a board works my core.  I can actually see cuts in my abs now!

No comments:

Post a Comment