Monday, June 18, 2012

Linda Mar Saturdays!

(From the Dunes off of Lawton at Ocean Beach)

Did my normal Saturday morning wave check at Ocean Beach, but instead of checking the cam I decided to drive out and walk up the dunes.  Tide was low, so the waves were breaking on any sand bump that was out there.  I figured it would get better in a few hours, but I didn't have a few hours so I drove south to Pacifica.  I checked out Rockaway but it was mega crowded.  And there is only one peak, so I drove to Linda Mar, and by God, there were some nice sets coming in.  But if you have ever surfed Lindy on a Saturday, it's always super, mega crowded.

I decided that I needed to get out there anyway.  I suited up and paddled out on the north side of the beach.  And to my surprise, the waves were thick, walled up, holding up, and steep.  It was super quiet out there in the lineup. I guess it got serious for once at good ol' Lindy.  When Lindy gets head high, there are plenty of waves to be had because most of the beginners (as I was a year ago) will paddle out to avoid the crashing lip.  So for more experienced novices, we can catch just about anything head high with no issues.  I caught a few nuggets and got blown up by one.  The walls were steep and I got a rush from that vertigo feeling one gets on a steep wave.

Then the Half Moon Bay boys came out on their long boards and crowded one of the peaks that was handing out a sweet right.  I was able to catch one, but that was about it.  I got out at about 12, sun burnt to a crisp and headed home.  Once I got home I think I slept like 4 hours.  Sun did me damage but overall, was pretty stoked by a beach that I generally avoid like the plague on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment