Thursday, January 9, 2014

"Bird"

I found this video on Vimeo, filmed all about a man and his shop who welcomed me with wide open arms into the San Diego surfing community.  That man would be Eric "Bird" Huffman, and his shop "Bird's Surf SHED".  To be honest, Bird's Surf SHED was the third shop I visited when I first moved to S.D.  I visited a couple shops around where I live, but one felt vibey and the other was just o.k.  But when I went to Bird's, the first person I met was Bird, and the first thing he asked me was my name, and we shook hands as he welcomed me to town.  Not many places do that now days.  And he hasn't forgotten my name since.  I walk into his shop and it's always "Hey B.D.!"  This is all an addition to the Surf Mecca that is Bird's shop, filled wall to wall with surfboards and history.


Since we first met, Bird's is the only shop that I go to on a regular basis.  From buying my Merrick (which I got for an absolutely awesome deal) to attending two events in a row where Swayze and I scored two wetsuits each by winning a raffle at both (one being a Patagonia wetsuit) to just chilling out with Bird and Isac, there is no other shop that I'd rather go.  Even The Bearded Bandito won't shop anywhere else now days but at Bird's!

We met Dan Malloy at an event @ Bird's during the summer.


Last thing before you watch, I think I actually walked in to Bird's Shed while they were filming this.  He was being interviewed, and I just hanged out for a minute, waiting on some advice on how to repair a ding for my M-10.  Bird saw me waiting, told the guys who were filming him to hold on, walked over to me, checked out my ding, described to me the type of foam that is needed and that it needed to be professionally done because of where the ding was situated.  He than referred me over to "Roper's" and told be to tell them to give me a "Bird's" discount, which they did and than warmly gave me a hand shake and headed back to his interview.  That moment hooked me for life.  And that's what Bird is all about.  Which I think is just being authentic, real and all about Aloha.  


Bird's Surf Shed from SnowGlobe Studios on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment