Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 - Year End Review


In the beginning of 2013, I made a promise to myself that I would keep detailed notes each day I surfed.  I would answer questions like:  "How good was the surf?"  "What were the wave hieght/ intervals that day?"  "Where and who did you surf with?"  "Did you learn anything new?"  "What things do you need to work on?" and so on.  It's funny looking back on my notes.  I could tell that I was stoked by my hand writing, or if I was dead tired because I would just leave a scribble.  But all in all, it this was a great way to help my surfing progress.  It also helped me learn more surf science and which breaks work best at what degree, interval period and wave height.  It became my own little cheat sheet for a number of breaks on our California Coast.  The only thing I regret not writing down is which boards I used during each session.  This is something I'm planning to add this year.  Here is a breakdown of my 2013 surfing exploits.

This was one of the best waves I caught this year on film.  Just after Christmas too. 

Days surfed:
167 days
26 of them double sessions

Places surfed:

NorCal spots:
San Francisco Ocean Beach:  12
Linda Mar:  11
38th:  2 (Both on the most epic south swell ever)
Getchells:  8
The Hook:  4
Pleasure Point:  3
Waddel: 1
Manresa:  1
4 Mile:  5
Bolinas:  2

Central California:
C street:  1
Shell Beach: 1
Morro:  1

SD County:
Scripps:  62  (Homebreak)
Blacks:  12
S. Bird:  6
Sunset Cliffs:  7
Swami's:  5
Beacons:  2
Law St.: 2
O.B.:  5
Carlsbad:  1
Pipes:  1
Delmar:  1
San Elijo:  2

Mexico:  
K38:  7
Baja Mailbu: 5
San Miguel:  4
Los Gaviotas:  2
Los Cerritos:  5
Mazatlan: 1
Nayarit:  5

One of my favorites from this year.
I learned a lot this year.  The one thing that I learned the most is that the more you surf, the better you get.  The gym, swimming, running, pushups, yoga and crunches are all good, but surfing is the most important factor in improving.  One wish that I have for 2014 is to surf Rincon and San Juanico on an epic swell.  That would be awesome...  And on the top of my head, I hope that 2014 can keep me closer to family, especially my loving wife.   She is and will always be my everything.  One thing that I really enjoyed about 2013 was the connections I made with so many different people, all sharing the love for waves.  From the Kiwi Hippies to the B.B. Crew, its been a fantastic year.  And thanks to all of you for keeping up with my blog.  I really enjoy sharing the stoke, and I'm appreciative that I could share the stoke with you.  I hope that we can all connect sometime in 2014 and share a wave or two. 

PS.  Here is a link to my 2014 in review.





No comments:

Post a Comment