Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Tijuana to El Rosario



I got an email from "MC" late October asking me if I wanted to take a drive from San Diego, through Baja and down to San Pancho in Mainland Mexico.  Apparently I didn't care about my job too much and said yes.  MC is working on making San Pancho her full time home.  And I'm trying to full time surf, so we had the word "full-time" in common, at least.

Somewhere in Ensanada.
We started the trip by crossing the Otay border around 8 a.m.  We bought our tourist visas for 290 pesos at the immigration office just across the border.  It's a funny process because you have to go to the immigration office, fill out a visa/immigration form, walk 200 yards to the  'bank', pay them a couple hundred pesos, then walk back to the immigration office and get stamped and approved.
 
During this somewhat drawn out process, Swazy, a long time border hopper, whispered to me in some kind of Jedi mind trick from Hillcrest,"Remember, the details and luxuries you enjoy in the U.S. do not apply to Mexico.  Enjoy the chaos.  Enjoy the simplicity.  Relax my young Jedi, your on Mexican time now".  I carried this mantra with me all the way to San Pancho.  Thank you my Mexican Jedi Master.

Banjercito, where you make your $250 deposit.

Passport stamped and visas approved and paid for, we then headed to the "Banjercito"to pay for the registration of MC's car.  The "deposit" was $250 dollars.  The reasoning behind this is Mexico wants to make sure they at least get some money out of a Gringo for registration reasons because most Gringos who cross with a car, stay.  I call this the Salsipuedes effect (Salsipuedes literally means, "Leave if you can").  So for now, instead of calling foreigners to Mexico Expats & Gringos, I'm going to call them Salsipuedes, and for visitors, I'll mention them as Sí se puedes, meaning "yes you can", or "it can be done" as in, if you put your will to it, you can leave Mexico and all it's beauty. Back to the Banjercito, if you have the strength to Sí se puede and cross back into the U.S. with your car, then you get your $250 back.  But if your six months late on your return, kiss that $250 good bye.  There are many other reasons that I'm not going to get into for this deposit, not just for Salsipudes, so don't think your special Gringos. 

"Get Lost" juice in Tijuana.

After we paid our deposit to drive in controlled chaos we proceeded to get lost in Tijuana for almost two hours.  I think Tijuana in English means "lost".  I always get lost in Tijuana.  My saving grace is that I always go west and find the Costco along the Tijuana River.  Once at Costco, I get my hotdog and diet coke for under $3 along with my mind and I'm on my way to San Ysidro.  One tip for those that get lost in T.J., go west.  You'll eventually find the Mexican 1 that will take you to the coast and out of Tijuana's grasp.


Senor and Senora Choppio

Chopipo.  Damn good stuff and B.D. recommended.

An hour and half south of T.J., we stopped off in Ensanada to top of our gas tank for the long stretch of desert ahead.  While at the gas station, the attendant tipped us off to what he and three other guys labled "los mejores tacos de pescado" in town and sent us to "Chopipo".  That spot still makes me want to go "mmmm".  Also while in Ensanda we found the best rates to change our Dollars to Pesos, which was around 12.5 Pesos to the Dollar.  I heard back in the day that the Peso was going as high as 13, but 12.5 was the best I seen it during the trip.  I really got ripped by my bank, which gave me 8 pesos to the dollar, but I only changed a quarter of the Dollars I had budgeted for the trip, so I wasn't that pissed, but pissed nonetheless because of the thought of banks and their bullshit charges, rates and what not.

O.K. kids, who is the Bull and who is the Matador?
Once we hit the open road towards the next big town, La Paz, I realized something quite important.  If you are a driver in Mexico, you are either a Bull or a Matador (this according to the Baja surfing Guide).  If you ever read a Hemingway book or witnessed a bull fight live, you understand that once the bull steps in the ring, he is dead.  The bull goes through this long procession of being stabbed by first, three matadors.  After they are done with the bull, the superstar Matador gets to show off and go at it with a half dead bull. I witnessed several bullfights while in Pamplona half drunk and half testosteroned out after running with those damn things to lay witness that it always ends up bad for the bull.

A two lane highway just became a four lane highway.  How cool is that!
On the one lane highways of Baja, Big Rigs rule.  If they want to drive in the wrong lane, no one is stopping them.  If they want to pass you, they'll do just that.  If they want to get hammered on some tequila and drive their rig like a stock car at the same time, they'll go right ahead.  So in essence, Big Rigs = Matador, Everyone else = Bulls.  We understood that quickly and made sure we didn't step into the ring.  




Once you pass La Bufadora, Baja highways becomes a one lane, Matador hungry, pass as you please, desert stretch and on and off dirt road autopista.  You run into small towns like the one pictured above.  The only things paved in these towns are the autopista (or highway) and the Pex Mex (gas stations).  We stopped at a lot of Pex Mex's to top of our gas tank as we didn't know if there would be any gas for hundreds of miles.  But Pex Mex's are pretty cool.  Seven out of ten of them have nice bathrooms (bring your own toilet paper), snacks, water and air condition.  I'm down with all four of those things.   

The Cactus Hotel
We ended this leg of the trip in the small town of El Rosario, which is about 220 miles into Baja from San Diego.  Just west of this town are a bunch of fun breaks that I didn't surf.  Yeah, I'm bummed about it, but it wasn't my car and neither was I the captain.  All good though, I talked to a couple of folks in town and they gave me on the dot directions on how to get to some sweet surf when I return back to these parts with some of the Kiwis in 2014.  Can't wait!


We ended up crashing at the Cactus Hotel.  Nice digs and 24 hour security so we were able to leave our stuff in the car and our boards racked.  I saw some folks parked in the lot behind in their campers and winnebagos.  So I guess you can even pay to park and sleep during the night at this place as well.  Anyways, this place is B.D. recommended, but keep your doors and windows closed because the mosquitoes are fierce. 

Dinner at Mama Espinoza's with some Salsipuedes.
We ended the day having dinner at "Mama Espinoza Restaurant".  I guess she is like 108 years old (no shit) and still runs the kitchen.  Foods o.k., Margaritas are huge.  This place has a million pictures of the Baja 1000 and three pictures of surfing.  I guess this Resteraunt/ Hotel is a big stop for the Baja 1000 and quite the rage when it goes down.  We ended up eating dinner with a couple Salsipuedes that live in Todos Santos full time and make their way back to the States twice a year to tie up loose ends and see family.  One of the Salsipuedes said that he and his wife took a vacation to Todos Santos, flew back to the States, packed their shit and moved back in a month.  Now that's what I call decisiveness!  My kind of peeps.  The Salsipuede said he loves it there and surfs La Pastora daily.  Once we get to that part of the story, you'll see why, and how I fell in love with that region of Baja and almost went Salsipuede myself.

Hey guys, I'm going to try and trace my steps from San Diego, through Baja and down to Sayulita in a handful of blogs.  I'm doing this for: 1.  Help others who want to take the trip and 2.  It was a fun trip and I really want to share it with you guys and gals.  Hopefully I'll be able to blog every third day, but who knows, since I got back, I've been totally running on Mexican time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment