Saturday, November 23, 2013

Salsipuede vs. Si Se Puede

Borrowed from Gogringo.com
Above is a wave from the break known as "Salsipuede" in Baja Norte.  As I passed this break one day with my friend Manav and his wife Ruth, who speaks fluent Spanish, I asked her what this word meant.  She replied "It almost means 'Leave if you can'".  Ever since I've been surfing Mexico, which is not a long time compared to most, I have grown a warm regards for this part of the world and it's people, and sort of understand why some choose not to leave.  I've always thought the word 'Gringo', the more common adjective describing foreigners in Mexico and other parts of Latin America as an old and ancient term.  So instead, and in more respect, I started using the term 'Salsipuede'.  Personally, for me at least, after a long weekend in Mexico, I find it terribly hard to leave.  For tourist that plan to leave and actually do, I term them as "Si Se Puede" which translates to "Yes you can!" or "It is possible".  In terms of this blog, simply, "Yes, you can leave Mexico".  I hope I don't offend anybody, but personally, I think it's an easier way of describing expats, who are in Mexico for life and tourist, who will eventually leave.  And it just rolls of the tongue better then saying "Gringo". 

No comments:

Post a Comment