Sunday, August 12, 2012

Back at "The Hook"



I have this special affinity for "The Hook".  This is the spot where I met a lot of close friends (half of the Kiwi's were formed in this narrow cliff side), learned the tricks of the trade, got cussed out a dozen times, lost respect and ultimately gained respect.  This spot has also cost me a lot in cash for gas and ding repair to say the least.  Even though it is miles away from my home in the Bay, I consider this spot my home break.  Why you ask?  I don't know...  To me, a home break is not a place that you live close too, or where you grew up surfing.  If that was the case, then Banyans and Magic Sands on the Big Island would be my spot.  But no, it's a place that you hold an "affinity" for.  And The Hook, with all that comes with it, holds that type of kinship with me.  I could be miles away, surfing unbelievable waves, but for some odd reason, I'm always thinking "How's The Hook doing today"...

Super early Dawn Patrol
Panama Red texted me on Sunday, August 12th about some south swell going down in Santa Cruz. He said the tides had been funny and our favorite spot nowdays wasn't going to work.  I checked the tides and from experience, swell + incoming tide = The Hook.  We both contemplated this decision, knowing that the crowds and locals would be in full effect.  But we made it a go.

To our surprise on that Monday, the crowds were pretty low and the locals that were out, we knew.  Panama Red is one of those Santa Cruz "Locals", good guy to have around in crowded peaks like The Hook.  Plus I knew a couple of the peeps and old timers, which made it really fun.

We got out there around six in the morning and it was firing 3'-6' faces.  Panama Red caught some straight bombs into Sharks.  The B.D. on the other hand was catching fast droppy closeouts.  I have to give it to Panama, he is definitely got his A game going.  He's been training pretty hard, surfing dawnies and saying no to the brew and it's been paying off. 

Later on in our sesh, I was lucky enough to catch a long curtain call all the way down to the cove.  I set up right in between First and Four Windows, whistled a Christmas tune for some odd reason and out of nowhere, a nice peak picked me up and gave me a ride that was worth the ride up and down the hill.  With my good luck, Santacruzwaves.com caught this long ride on camera!




As I was paddling back, I got a bunch of smiles from good folks sitting at third and second.  One fella said to me "I watched you all the way down the line, nice ride and thanks for the show!"  That one comment brightened my week.  I remember a year ago when I was waiting at third bowl and watching guys and gals from "First" dropping in on bombs and slicing them all the way to the cove, wishing one day I could do the same.  Good times.  

But coming back down to earth, a picture tells a thousand words.  I get very critical about my surfing and in this picture I should be crouching lower, back hand touching the water and setting up for a bottom turn.  There are so many things to improve on in my surfing, but then again, I'm so thankful to be doing it.

Even though thoughts of surfing The Hook brings up reluctant looks from my friends and I, this break has brought us plenty of good things outside the water.  One thing is certain, when The Hook is firing, it's one of the best waves in California.  I'll always have a special place in my heart for this break.   


You can also find me on:

Facebook @ Kookingitup
&
Mahalo and keep surfing like it's your last wave!



No comments:

Post a Comment