Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Kook, Black's Beach And A Mystery Key

The Cardiff Kook
After my week long adventure at Trestles, I decided to head south with Swayze and hang out with my extended "Familia".  On the way, we decided to stop by Patagonia's Cardiff-by-the-Sea surf shop (why does Cardiff put "-" in between each word anyway? That's just bad grammar.).  My favorite Patagonia board shorts ripped while surfing at Trestles, and I wanted to see if they could stitch it up.  To my surprise, it was an easy exchange and I picked up the same exact shorts.

Patagonia art at their surf shop at Cardiff-by-the-Sea.

Swayze and I picked up a couple half priced T-shirts and board shorts.  I also picked up a "One California Day" hat, not knowing it was a movie until a few days ago.  No matter, it's a pretty sick hat anyway.


Swayze and I were mad hungry.  Just a block a way was "The Kook's Cafe".  What a perfect place for two kooks to get grub!  I ordered the Corn Beef and Hash with 2 eggs over easy (my all time fave).  The food was ono!

Pop's stealing my new hat.  But damn, it looks good on
"The Most Interesting Man In The World".


We cruised down to "National City", home of Sweetwater High and El Swayze.  We hanged out with La Familia before again heading out to get some more grub at "Phil's" in San Diego.  I know what your thinking, 'Damn, this dude is a pig!' But come'on! All I had the week before were nuts, Gatorade, protein shakes and Pedro Tacos!  I needed some real, fattening, good 'ol American grub.  With my plate filled to the max with a stack of pork ribs, potatoe and macaroni salad, I was one happy B.D.!  (If your still wondering what a B.D. is, check out Jaime Murry's description @ http://headhighglassy.blogspot.com/2012/04/baby-damulag.html ).

One Happy B.D. @ Phil's
The next morning, Swayze and I woke up at the break of dawn and headed for La Jolla Shores.  We met up with Knapp Sack (a born and raised San Diego native) at the Scripps parking lot and headed north on La Jolla Shores to La Jolla Farms, parked our car, suited up and headed down the steep road to Black's.  This is Knapp's home break, he has been surfing this spot since he was a grom.  He has fond memories of topless beauties and big barrells breaking near the shore.  Lucky bastard!

On the way down to Black's.
Kook on the left and a Kook on the right.


Here's a video of our session at Black's:

Black's is a beautiful beach with lots of sand, huge cliffs and plenty of marine life right under your board.  I've heard of epic barrels and pounding surf during the north west swells of the winter at this beach break.  But being that it was summer and the south swell angled more north towards L.A., it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. It maxed out at about five feet, but a steep five feet it was. When this wave hits the sandbar, the take off gets pretty "elevatorish". 

The walk back up the hill is another story. I thought Swayze was going to have a heart attack a couple of times.  But like a trooper, he carried the "Kamehameha Board" all the way back to the truck.  It would have been easier if we had the mysterious "Key" to the gate so we could drive back up the hill, but supposedly, this key is only given to high rollers, San Diego Chargers, Padres, Cheerleaders, the cast from "Save By The Bell" and blonds who drive Mercedes. I promised Knapps that if I ever come across some cash, I would find that Key, buy it and give it to him so that the next ten generations of Knappsters can enjoy Black's without the killer walk back.  Knapps just looked over at me, sweating and breathing hard, and said "I'm gonna hold you to that dude."

Dad's Breakfast
I ended the trip by having the legendary "Dad's Breakfast" that includes freshly sliced chicharrón, hand made tortillas, fresh guacamole, fresh barbecue salsa and plenty of love.  Good food, good surf, Familia and a homey named Knapp Sack.  What more can a guy ask for?  


You can also find me at:

 Twitter @ Kooking it UP's Twitter

Vimeo @ Wacky Kooking it UP's videos

Mahalo and keep surfing like it's your last wave!

No comments:

Post a Comment