Sunday, July 1, 2012

Surf's Up In Oakland!



Lake Linda Mar
I didn't even bother checking the surf this morning.  I was bitterly tired of being disappointed.  Me and Mr. Furry tried surfing OB on Friday. Instead of catching mush, we almost got sea sick from all of that hellish wind swell.  So instead, I slept in, watched a little of the Euro Cup (the match was pretty much over 20 minutes into it) and had this weird craving for a pork Vietnamese sandwich.  As I was driving to Oakland's China Town, I noticed the word "Surf Club" above a store front just off of 14th and Webster.  I took a closer look and I saw surf boards in view from the street.  Low and behold, Oakland has a surf shop!


The "Oakland Surf Club" is located at 337 14th street in Downtown Oakland (near 14th and Webster).  Owners Max and Ari have a pretty rad shop full of unique surf apparel, shoes, records, surf boards, awesome skateboards, art and Sticky Bumps  (I'm a Sex Wax guy, but sticky bumps are cool).  Today was their soft opening (I think) and I was lucky enough to stumble upon it.

Owners Max and Ari
Max and Ari are pretty cool kats.  They even offered me some cupcakes!   

Inside the "Club"

The East Bay has some pretty fierce surfers if you haven't met one yet.  They are people who no matter what the circumstances are, will drive anywhere the surf is pumping and charge the biggest waves without no hesitation.  It's great that there is finally a shop that East Bay folks can turn to rather then driving all the way to the outer sunset to look for gear or bullshit about surf.  I hope this spot becomes the mecca for the East Bay surfer, we need one!

Surfboards in Oakland!  Radical! 
I look forward to this new shop and the promise it brings to the East Bay.  Check out their website (below), they have plenty events including a gathering at their shop every first Friday from 6p-9p (same day as Oakland's Art Murmur which is a pretty happening thing now days).


 I'm glad that a surfer stepped up and looked at Oakland and said to himself "Even if I have to move mountains, Surf shall come to Oaktown!"  That's what I'm saying!  Yes!
 
Check Oakland Surf Club out @  www.OaklandSurfClub.com

You can also find me on:

Facebook @ Kookingitup
&

Mahalo and keep surfing like it's your last wave!

No comments:

Post a Comment