Saturday, December 28, 2013

Getting to the "Sentri Pass Lane"


This is when most people say the famous words, "THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT!'
If you've crossed the border at San Ysidro enough times, than you'll know how confusing and utterly frustrating it can be. My relationship with Tijuana in particular has been one of utter discombobulation.  Tijuana = lost to be more specific.  If you miss a turn, turn the wrong way, follow a sign that says "San Diego" but what it really meant was to "turn right in 40 yards for San Diego", than your lost in the epic circle of trying to find your way back to The States (while The States tease you with it's skyline as you travel lost on top of the foothills of T.J).

The Sentri Pass
Recently, to avoid the mess, I went through the three month process of getting my Sentri Pass.  On Thursday, for the first time, I had my Sentri Pass in hand after a good surf in Baja Malibu and Roberts Reef with a good friend.  I left a little bit late, breaking one of the steadfast rules of not driving at night in Mexico.  Everything was fine when I came to the lanes that led to the San Ysidro Boarder.  I took the "Medical Lane" (for people with enough medical necessity to cross the boarder faster than any of the other lanes) like I was suppose to.  I talked to the guard at the Medical Lane gate who told to me to just "stay left" and I would be in the Sentri Lane.  I stayed left, and all I did was make the loop around the over pass and into that frustrating roundabout that half way through has a sign that says "San Diego" and points straight as you drive around in circles.

Hope this makes it easier...  NOT!
After thirty minutes of looping I guessed the Sentri Pass Lane would be somewhere in the regular boarder lanes that are opposite to the "Medical Lane".  Was I wrong.  I was stuck in regular traffic going back into The States with 20 cars behind me and no way to flip a...  we'll you know.  I talked to some of the merchants who told me for $20 they would clear the lane behind me and take me to the Sentri Pass Lane.  No thanks I replied.  "OK, $15 and I'll throw in this toy bank of Tom Brady!"  No thanks I replied again.

Not even Tom Brady can look as frustrated as I did.
Luckily I had bars on my cell phone from my cell network during my arduous wait.  I looked for instructions on how to get to the Sentri Lane.  And according to Murphy's Law I found a video that showed the step-by-step process on how to get to the Sentri Lane.  After watching this video, I don't know how anybody could have figured it out, even with instructions.  It's a bunch loops, U-turns, traffic, and landmarks instead of signs.  It's like a bug fucking maze!!!  But I did figure that I missed my turn three times.  I saw that final turn, but figured it wasn't the way because the flow of traffic was going somewhere else.  I guess that's why the Sentri Pass is so useful, because one percent of the population has it and traffic, at least most of the time, is non existent in that lane.

Yeah, I still have yet to grace this sign.  But it exists...
So for all of you who have a Sentri Pass or thinking about getting one, memorize this video.  But don't get frustrated that even though you memorized this video you get lost anyway.  It's Tijuana, and by birthright into this lovely place called Earth, you must get lost in Tijuana to earn your wings.  Just don't freak out.

No comments:

Post a Comment